Beautification and Tree Advisory Board selects chair, vice chair
Meeting schedule finalized for 2017 during annual reorganization meeting
The Arkansas City Beautification and Tree Advisory Board elected new officers Jan. 26 during its annual reorganization meeting at City Hall.
Richard Humphrey was elected chair and Jill Wineinger vice chair in unanimous motions. Public Information Officer Andrew Lawson, a nonvoting member, was designated as the board’s secretary.
The board also reviewed and approved the meeting schedule for 2017. It will meet on the last Thursday of each month, but the April, May, November and December meetings might be moved or canceled for special considerations.
Announcements of any changes will be made the previous month.
The three board members present — Bob Foster, Peggy Soule and Candace Stephens, who participated in the meeting by telephone — also discussed ideas for the 2017 Arbor Day celebration.
The tentative plan is to tie in the Arbor Day event on April 28 with a movie night at the Wilson Park rotunda and possibly plant one or more new trees in the park as part of the Wilson Park master plan.
In other business Jan. 26, the board:
- Unanimously approved the Dec. 15, 2016, regular meeting minutes as written.
- Heard updates on the painting of three Wilson Park benches by contest winners, Catalpa and Chestnut parks, downtown tree planting, and the Paris Park lion statue restoration. The statue was transported Dec. 2, 2016, to a stone carver’s studio in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, where the carver has been working to restore the face and paw. He expects to be done by mid-March.
- Discussed goal-setting and strategic planning for 2017, as well as possible budgeting for 2018.
- Voted 3-0 to give the Nelson Sensation Award for February to Tortilleria Hernandez, 1100 N. Summit St., which is owned by Marcela Jimenez. The award is for the building’s renovation.
Humphrey’s absence was excused. Stephens was unable to attend in person for medical reasons.
In other business Dec. 15, 2016, the board:
- Unanimously approved the Nov. 17, 2016, regular and Nov. 30, 2016, special meeting minutes.
- Voted 5-0 to give holiday Yard of the Season awards to 404 Warren Way and 724 North A St.
- Discussed the proposed meeting schedule for 2017. A few modifications were proposed to staff.
- Voted 4-1 to approve all three winning designs for Arkansas City High School student Hannah McNulty’s senior leadership project. The two winners, Sidney Nittler — who had a pair of winning designs — and Valarie Wade, were contacted to make arrangements to pick up benches that had been removed from Wilson Park on which to paint their designs. The painted benches will be reinstalled in the park this spring. Wineinger cast the lone dissenting vote.
- Reviewed the board’s official bylaws and the general provisions for all City advisory boards.
- Requested that preliminary planning for Arbor Day 2017 be included on the January agenda.