The Arkansas City Water Treatment Plant
The Cooperative Arkansas City Water Department was established in 1893. The City of Arkansas City still utilizes the below ground clearwell that was constructed in 1914. The floor of this clearwell is actually the existing limestone bedrock.
Today’s primary water source is provided by ten wells on the west side of the City of Arkansas City. Also available is a surface water supply on the eastern side of the City from the Walnut River. The Water Treatment Plant (WTP) at 513 W. Washington was constructed in 1972. The WTP softens, clarifies and filters all water prior to delivery into the water distribution system and is designed with a capacity to treat 7 million gallons of water per day.
Water produced by the City of Arkansas City is used primarily within the City limits. However, Sumner Rural Water District #4, west of Ark City also purchases their water from the City of Arkansas City. This water is delivered to homes and businesses via approximately 90 miles of buried pipelines and 5,300 water meters.
2016 Consumer Confidence Report (CCR)